Writing / Editing • Journalism • Marketing • Event Management
- 10+ years – Professional Writing & Editing
- 14+ years – Non-Profit Event Production & Leadership Service
- 7+ years – Client Relations & Sales
- University of Southern California Bachelor of Arts / Broadcast Journalism
High Honors – cumulative GPA 3.72
- NBC Bay Area KNTV, Freelance Content Producer (2013-14)
- Write broadcast news copy
- Edit video for broadcast news
- Pajaro Valley Federation of Teachers (AFT-CFT Local 1936), Business Office Manager, Marketing & Events (2011-2012)
- Redesigned & edited marketing outreach newsletter and several dozen print, email, social media & online marketing tools driving awareness and action.
- Organized large general membership events attracting record attendance, and coordinated more efficient meetings.
- Created & cultivated community relationships and built support for local teachers.
- Managed business office, finances and business travel, resulting in several thousand dollars savings.
- Patch.com, Freelance Reporter (2011)
- Reported on hyper-local news issues and features in the Santa Cruz-Capitola area.
- Insurance Industry, Business/Marketing Manager & Client Relations Specialist (2009-2010)
- Worked a contract and a temporary position in the insurance industry to cover living expenses.
- San Francisco Chronicle, Writer / Editor / Project Manager (2007-2009)
- Edited & wrote for several weekly (Jobs, Homes & Cars) and a dozen special publications (Modern Bridal, Prom Guide, Holiday Gift Guide, Auto Show, National Pet Week & more).
- Coordinated freelance writers, photographers, designers, sales & management.
- Achieved deadlines without error, created compelling content in line with Chronicle & AP style and got ahead of schedule utilizing custom detailed charts I implemented.
- Learned to efficiently manage a dozen+ publication projects at once in significantly understaffed department & saved the company money.
- San Francisco Chronicle Style section, Business & Technology section and SF Unzipped (style/beauty blog), Contributing Writer (2008-2009)
- Researched & wrote freelance articles for newspaper sections and blog.
- KCBS 740 AM and kcbs.com, News Writer (2006-2008)
- Freelance online & radio news writer covering local San Francisco news.
- San Francisco Jewish Community Federation, Campaign Administrative Coordinator (2006-2007)
- Initiated, created & edited live travel blog as philanthropic marketing and community outreach while staffing a donor trip to Israel.
- Managed department communications & edited weekly newsletter (developed best marketing best practices as Constant Contact expert); coordinated procedures, budget management & training; Managed executive & departmental needs while ensuring high-level donor relations and event & meeting support.
- Starbucks Coffee Co., Assistant Store Manager (2005-2006)
- Created detailed charts outlining closing procedures for each partner on duty, allowing the team to close the store on time, cleaned & prepped for the early morning shift, resulting in significant savings to the company.
- KNX 1070 News Radio (CBS network), News Writer (2003-2005)
- Wrote broadcast news copy within tight deadlines, researched stories & interviewed sources, coordinated with anchors & editors while providing listener support. Covered local, national and international news.
- KTLA-TV Channel 5/WB CyberGuy Segment, Editorial Intern (2004)
- Researched segments and coordinated on field shoots, affiliate relations and office organization.
- ATVN Annenberg TV News News Writer/Reporter/Videographer/Editor (2004-2005)
- Researched, wrote & reported broadcast news affecting L.A. & the USC campus. Shot and edited video, designed graphics and produced feature and news packages.
- TESOL/TESL/TEFL Teacher Training Certification 100-hour comprehensive course, Oxford Seminars (2012)
- Ambassador, Careerealism Club / CareerHMO (online expert career development network)
- UJC Boston 2010 National Young Leadership Conference: “Leadership. Service. Community.”
- San Francisco Chronicle Multimedia Photo Training
- Media Bistro Course: Advanced Travel Writing (2008)
- Media Bistro Course: Breaking Into Travel Writing (2008)
- Associated Press Television-Radio Association (APTRA): Anchor Academy (2005)
- Associated Press Television-Radio Association (APTRA): Reporter Academy (2004)
- Local tv news reporting training on ride-alongs with local CBS TV station CBS2/KCAL9 Reporter Joel Connable
- QuickBooks Pro 2011 Course, Watsonville-Aptos Adult Education
- Cake Decorating Course, Cabrillo College in Aptos, Calif.
Theater Make-Up Course, University of Southern California Theater Department
- Jewish Community Federation, YAD Board VP Communications (2010-2011)
- Produced & facilitated Young Leadership Board Retreat for 20 volunteer members.
- Designed & edited thorough board manuals to help leaders understand their community roles as well as several marketing pieces
- Share Our Strength’s Taste of the Nation, SF Planning Committee Marketing Chair (2010)
- Designed & edited several well-crafted marketing pieces to help inspire 700+ attendance and $70,000 raised at charitable event in support of ending childhood hunger.
- Jewish Community Federation, YAD Board Leadership Development Team (2009-2010)
- Co-chaired planning committee for Leadership Speaker Series.
- Designed & edited informative newsletter for leaders’ use in speaker series
- Jewish Community Federation, YAD Board Marketing Chair (2008-2009)
- Founded & edited “Challah Back” blog covering community, philanthropy & leadership and highlighting the city’s hottest events for professional, young Jews.
- Significantly increased traffic to blog utilizing coordinated social media marketing on Facebook & Twitter.
- USC Hillel (Jewish Student Center) President (2004)
- Organized & initiated events / activities more than doubling attendance. Coordinated elected board and liaison with media, university and other student organizations.
- Served as VP Programming on the board the previous year; Worked as intern planning annual cultural festival for two years.
Extensive additional volunteer experience available upon request
- Expertise in Mac & PC operating systems
- Proficiency in the following software: Microsoft Office Word, Excel & PowerPoint; iWork Pages Layout; CCI Design; Adobe InDesign, Photoshop & Illustrator; AP News Service & iNews newsroom software; Dreamweaver; FileMaker Pro & AFT Membership Suite; QuickBooks Pro 2011; Raiser’s Edge fundraising software.
- Extremely Web-savvy (trained in online investigative journalism); Proficiency with Web applications, including: Moveable Type, WordPress & Blogspot blog software; Google applications; Constant Contact and SalsaLabs email marketing; and social media, including Facebook (early adopter), Twitter, LinkedIn, Skype & more.
- Multimedia: Photo, video, AVID linear & non-linear editing & graphic design.
- Languages: Hebrew, some Spanish. Currently studying Italian.
Are you a hiring manager?
Download a PDF of Gabriana’s Resume (formatted as one double-sided page).